- APPLICATION DEADLINE: October 12, 2018 *By 5:00 pm
- No faxed or emailed application/resumes are accepted.
- If mailed, must be postmarked by 10/12/18 to be considered.
- PLACE TO FILE APPLICATION: City Hall, Personnel Dept., 3rd Fl 76 E. High St., Springfield, OH 45502
- CIVIL SERVICE EXAM: *Applicants will be notified
- PAY RANGE: $17.09 – $21.88 per hour
- Candidates with relevant dispatch experience may qualify to begin employment at a rate up to $19.82
- EXAMINATION CUT-OFF SCORE: 70%
TESTING PROCESS: The testing process for this position is a computer based multi-tasking Criticall skills test. All candidates achieving the passing score on this test will be placed on the eligibility list for this position classification. The score on this exam will serve to rank all candidates on the list. Finalist may be required to participate in a polygraph and investigational background check.
This position involves emergency dispatch services for the Springfield Police and Fire/Rescue Divisions, and involves dispatching units in response for calls for service. This position also involves computer communications work involving various radio, teletype, telephone, computer and record-keeping tasks. This position requires the ability to work any shift assignment (day, evening, night) and the ability to work holidays, weekends and mandatory overtime, as required.
APPLICANTS MUST POSSESS: High School education or equivalent with some college level coursework preferred. Requires the ability to operate a two-way radio, teletype, computer terminal and tape recorder. Requires excellent hearing and eyesight and the ability to speak clearly, to read maps and remember street locations, to remain calm in emergency situations and work under stressful conditions; to elicit correct and complete information from excited callers, to assimilate a variety of information and prioritize work accordingly, and to keep, store, and retrieve accurate records.
CREDIT FOR MILITARY SERVICE: Applicants who have been Honorably Discharged from Active Duty in the Armed Forces of the United States are eligible to receive an additional credit of their cumulative passing score. Proof (i.e. a copy of the Honorable Discharge certificate or the DD-214 specifying an Honorable Discharge) must be submitted with the application. NO CREDIT WILL BE GIVEN IF PROOF IS SUBMITTED AFTER THE FILING DEADLINE