Police Division Recruitment
About the Recruitment Process
The Springfield Police Division accepts new recruits in two ways: Lateral Entry and Civil Service Entry. If you hold a current Ohio Peace Officer Training Certificate and are currently employed by an approved law enforcement agency, you may qualify for the lateral entry process. If you do not have a current Ohio Peace Officers Training Certificate and are not currently employed by an approved law enforcement agency, you must go through a civil service exam.
Applicants must possess the ability to work with a substantial element of personal risk and exercise sound independent judgment; the ability to use interpersonal skills to manage conflicts; the ability to be trained to use firearms and other weapons; the ability to cope with situations firmly, courteously, and tactfully with respect to the rights of others; the ability to write complete and accurate reports; and the ability to withstand accident and violent situations while maintaining stability of performance.
- At least 21 years of age at time of appointment.
- High School Graduate or equivalent.
- Eyesight: 20/20 corrected.
- Weight in proportion to height.
- Must possess the physical ability to perform consistently and promptly to all duties of the position.
Special Requirements of Work:
- All employees of the Police Division must reside within Clark county or any county adjacent to Clark county.
- Must hold a valid, unrestricted Ohio Driver’s license.
- Must complete: Ohio Peace Officer Training (17 weeks).
- In-house training (8 weeks).
- Field training (13 weeks).
- Must become licensed by the Department of Health to administer Blood Alcohol Tests.
- Must maintain other certifications as required.
- 40 hour work week including nights, weekends and holidays on an assigned shift and on demand.
How to Apply
The City of Springfield does not currently have an open application for police positions, unless you are applying for lateral entry. To apply for lateral entry please contact Natalie Payton at (937) 324-7318.
Additional Employment Opportunities
The Springfield Civil Service Commission announces an OPEN-COMPETITIVE examination for the CLASSIFIED position of ELECTRICAL & ELECTRONICS TECHNICIAN II. The opening exists at the Water Treatment Plant.read more
The Springfield Civil Service Commission announces an OPEN-COMPETITIVE examination for the CLASSIFIED position of ACCOUNT CLERK IV. Work is assigned in the Finance Department specific to the area of Income Tax.read more
The Springfield Civil Service Commission announces an OPEN-COMPETITIVE examination for the CLASSIFIED position of CASHIER in the Finance Department.read more