OPEN-COMPETITIVE examination for the position of FIREFIGHTER/PARAMEDIC with the City of Springfield. Submit original applications with resumes, no faxed or emailed documents are accepted.
APPLICATION PERIOD: January 22 – February 7, 2018 Before 5:00 PM, Applications that are mailed must be post marked by the deadline in order to be considered.
PLACE OF FILING APPLICATION: City Hall, Personnel Dept. – 3rd Floor, 76 East High Street, Springfield, Ohio 45502
DATE, TIME & PLACE OF WRITTEN EXAMINATION: Saturday, February 10, 2018 at 9:00 a.m., Clark State LRC Building, Community Rooms 207 & 209, 570 E Leffel Lane, Springfield OH 45505
EXAMINATION CUT-OFF SCORE: 70%
ANNUAL PAY RANGE: $ 45,070 – $ 58,140 *Including excellent benefits
- AGE: At least 18 years of age at time of appointment
- EDUCATION: High School Graduate or equivalent
- PHYSICAL: Eyesight – 20/20 corrected, Weight – in proportion to height
- MUST possess the overall ability to sufficiently perform all of the essential functions of the position.
NATURE AND REQUIREMENTS OF WORK: This position is responsible for the performance of specialized duties in the saving of life and the fighting and prevention of fires. Work involves a variety of duties including firefighting, paramedic work, and property and equipment maintenance on an assigned shift.
APPLICANTS MUST POSSESS: The ability to work with a substantial element of personal risk; the ability to work in hazardous conditions of smoke, heat, cramped spaces, and heights; the ability to do paramedic work which includes the ability to withstand accident situations and maintain stability of performance; the ability to exercise sound judgment; and the ability to write complete and accurate reports.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS OF WORK:
- RESIDENCY: Must reside in Clark County or any county directly adjacent to Clark County within 60 days of the completion of recruit training.
- LICENSE: Must hold a valid unrestricted Ohio Motor Vehicle Operator’s License
- PARAMEDIC CERTIFICATION: Must hold Paramedic Certification issued by the State of Ohio upon six months of appointment.
- FIRE APPRENTICESHIP PROGRAM: Must complete 42 months of apprenticeship training to become a Journeyman Firefighter/Paramedic
ELEMENTS OF THE SELECTION PROCESS:
- Written Examination
- Physical Agility Test *For applicants that pass written exam (Fire Station #1 on February 26th)
- Polygraph Examination
- Extensive Background Investigation
- Oral Interview
- Psychological Assessment
- Drug Screening
- *Complete Medical Examination – *This examination is administered only to candidates who have been extended a conditional offer of employment.
MILITARY CREDIT: Military service credit may be granted to Ohio Residents who have been honorably discharged from military service. A copy of the Honorable Discharge or DD-214 specifying HONORABLE DISCHARGE must be submitted with the application. An additional percentage of a passing score will be credited to individuals who achieve the minimum cut-off score.
AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/DISABLED EMPLOYER