- LAST DATE FOR FILING APPLICATION: 08/25/2017 *By 5:00 PM
- PLACE FOR FILING APPLICATION: City Hall – Personnel Dept. 3rd Floor, 76 E. High St., Springfield OH 45502 *Submit original application, no faxed or emailed documents are accepted.
- DATE, TIME & PLACE OF WRITTEN EXAMINATION: TO BE ANNOUNCED – Applicants will receive an exam notice *If you provide an email address on your application your exam notice will be emailed. Please note that a basic calculator will be allowed for this civil service exam
- PAY RANGE: $17.54 – $22.70 per hour
- EXAMINATION CUT-OFF SCORE: 70%
This position is responsible for performing highly skilled mechanical work in support of all maintenance activities within the City’s Water or Wastewater Plants. Work involves the responsibility for keeping the plant facilities, wellfields, lift stations, pump stations and elevated tank equipment operational by conducting a preventative maintenance program and installing, repairing and maintaining equipment. Work may also involve performing building maintenance tasks on plant buildings including construction design, layout, painting, masonry repair, plumbing and minor electrical repair. Work is performed with considerable independence in maintaining, diagnosing equipment malfunction and completing repairs.
This position requires a high school education or equivalent with extensive experience and possession of considerable knowledge of the operation, maintenance and repair of pumps, valves and similar mechanical and electrical equipment common to water and wastewater operations. Requires skill in locating the cause of mechanical system and equipment defects; the ability to estimate time and material necessary to accomplish repair projects; the ability to work from drawings and specifications; the ability to work in adverse environmental conditions such as water, wastewater and mud; and the ability to be called out at times other than regular working hours to respond to emergency conditions. Requires the ability to perform physical labor for extended periods; to work in confined spaces (valve and meter pits, lift stations, tunnels, digesters, etc.); to work at heights above 50 feet (water tanks); and to ascend and descend vertical ladders.
This position also requires possession of a Class A CDL with tanker and air brake endorsements. (Newly hired employees will be given 90 working days to obtain the CDL, if necessary.)
CREDIT FOR MILITARY SERVICE: Applicants who have been honorably discharged from active duty in the armed forces of the United States are eligible to receive an additional percentage of their cumulative passing score. Proof (i.e., a copy of the Honorable Discharge certificate, or the DD-214 specifying an honorable discharge) must be submitted with the application. NO CREDIT WILL BE GIVEN IF PROOF IS SUBMITTED AFTER THE FILING DEADLINE.