Springfield’s stormwater utility will fund: required improvements to the City’s wastewater infrastructure, public education on the environmental impact of stormwater, and efforts to minimize future impact on our local watersheds by working with the development community to reduce polluted runoff.

If you have questions about the stormwater user fee, please see this Fact Sheet.  Springfield has also produced this video to introduce you to the stormwater utility.

Ordinances & Policies

Stormwater Ordinances

  • Stormwater Utility charges are found in Chapter 918 of the Codified Ordinances.
  • Stormwater regulations are found in Chapter 961 of the Codified Ordinances.

Stormwater Policies

Get Involved
If you want to help protect the rivers and streams that wind through Springfield and Clark County, there are many ways to get involved. Here are a few:

  • There are many watershed groups that cover Clark County. Consider offering one of them your support.
  • If you’re a homeowner, click here to read about specific things you can do at home.
  • If you’re a business owner, click here to read about specific ways your operation can protect water quality.
Developers & Builders
If you are a builder or developer, this feed will give you information about stormwater management practices you can put into place to meet local, state, and federal requirements.


Requirements for Construction Industry - What does the construction industry have to do? If your project disturbs one or more acres of ground, you must get a permit to discharge stormwater from your site. If your project disturbs less than one acre but is part of a larger plan of development or sale, you also […]
Controlling Construction Site Runoff - Construction site runoff control is essential to maintaining clean water. Construction disturbs soil at building sites and can generate large amounts of sediment runoff. Once sediment gets into our waterways it can diminish recreational use, reduce storage capacity and floodwater retention, degrade aquatic life, and depreciate property values. It is […]
Full List
If you are a Springfield resident, this feed explains how you can help keep our waterways clean and healthy.

Homeowner Impacts on Water Quality

Even a small plot of land has an impact on stormwater. The hard surfaces on individual lots—such as rooftops and driveways—create runoff that goes into storm drains, retention basins, drainage ditches, and rivers. This runoff can pick up pollutants such as sediment, fertilizers, oils, and animal waste. The increased volume of runoff can put a burden on Springfield’s stormwater systems, leading to combined sewer overflows and other problems. Everything we do on land impacts the watershed we live in.

Illicit discharges and illegal connections to the stormwater system also have a big impact. Discharges from septic systems are examples of illicit discharges. Springfield is required to try to find illicit discharges and get them corrected. If you think you may have an illicit discharge, fix it now before it becomes a bigger problem.

How can residents improve water quality? - Maintain Your Septic System The Clark County Combined Health District can assist homeowners with failing systems and has guidance for do-it-yourself maintenance. Contact the District at 937-390-5600. Install a Rain Barrel A rain barrel is a container (usually a plastic 50-60 gallon barrel) that connects to your downspout and collects runoff […]
Full List


Helpful Resources

Stormwater Credit

This Fact Sheet is a quick reference guide to the polices and procedures in the City’s Stormwater Policy Manual and does not represent the entirety of information from that manual. All property owners with questions about stormwater fees or stormwater fee credits should read the Stormwater Policy Manual. Questions can be answered by calling (937) 324-7312.

I own a house/condo. What credits are available?

You can reduce your stormwater fee several ways. For instance, you could plant a rain garden, disconnect your downspouts, or put up rain barrels. The chart below gives more details.




Bioretention / rain garden Sized to capture runoff from 25% of the parcel’s impervious area 50% credit against the stormwater fee
Rain barrel / cistern Homes must have storage for 100 gallons. Businesses must have storage for 15% of the runoff from a 1 inch rain 50% credit against the stormwater fee
Disconnect downspouts from underground drain and seal pipe At least 75% of the property’s downspouts directly outlet onto a flat or concave pervious area at least 10 feet wide and 15 feet long. 50% credit against the stormwater fee

I own a business. What credits are available?

If you own a business, there are several credit options. You can install the practices listed in the table above. Other options, offering a 15% credit, include biweekly parking lot sweeping, establishing no-mow zones around stormwater ponds, planting water quality-improving vegetation below a pond’s water line, vegetated swales and filter strips, infiltration and percolation basins, percolation trenches, green roofs, buffer strips and swales, porous pavement, constructed wetlands, and trash racks on stormwater pond outlet structures. If your property has onsite stormwater detention, those practices can earn credits under certain circumstances. Common examples of detention practices include stormwater ponds and underground stormwater storage cells. See the Stormwater Policy Manual for more details.

Is my condominium association or homeowners association eligible for credits?

Yes. The association’s stormwater detention practice may be eligible for a credit. For example, if the stormwater pond can be shown to detain or treat more stormwater than required by ordinance, a credit is available. See the Stormwater Policy Manual for more details.

How do I apply for a credit?

The credit application fee is $10 for owners of vacant, residential, and individual condominium property and $75 for all other property owners. Application fees are non-refundable. There are two short forms that must be completed, and those can be found in the Stormwater Policy Manual, which explains how to complete the forms and where to send them.

How can I dispute the amount of my stormwater fee?

If you believe you are being overcharged for stormwater, please fill out the ESU Adjustment Form in the Stormwater Policy Manual. The application fee for user fee adjustment is $10 for owners of vacant, residential, and individual condominium property and $75 for all other property owners. The manual explains how to fill out the form and where to send it.

Under what circumstances do I not have to pay the stormwater fee?

The stormwater fee applies to all properties draining to any part of the city stormwater system. The system includes storm and surface water management facilities including, but not limited to, inlets, conduits, manholes, ditches, gullies, canals, channels, lakes and ponds, curb and gutter, infiltration facilities, components (or allocated portions of components) of the city wastewater treatment system deemed necessary to treat wastewater containing stormwater, and other components as well as natural waterways. Property owners who believe that runoff from their property never reaches any part of the city stormwater system can petition the City that the fee not be applied to their property. The petition form is in the Stormwater Policy Manual.

Share This