- LAST DATE FOR FILING APPLICATION: 10/26/18 *By 5:00 PM
- Mailed applications must be postmarked by due date to be considered, no faxed/emailed documents are accepted.
- PLACE FOR FILING APPLICATION: CITY HALL – Personnel Dept 3rd Floor, 76 E. High St., Springfield, Ohio 45502
- CIVIL SERVICE EXAM INFORMATION: TO BE ANNOUNCED – All Applicants will receive an exam notice *If you provide an email address your notice will be emailed from firstname.lastname@example.org in the weeks following the application deadline. Check your SPAM or add the email above to your contacts to ensure you get your notice.
- PAY RANGE: $16.32 – $20.67 per hour *Plus excellent benefits
- EXAMINATION CUT-OFF SCORE: 70%
This is responsible maintenance work assigned to the City’s Utilities Maintenance Division. Work involves serving as an assistant to a sewer or water distribution leadperson involved in the repair and maintenance of the water distribution or wastewater collection system. Duties require working outdoors in all weather conditions and performing light-to-heavy manual labor in tight quarters such as excavations, climbing in and out of manholes or excavations and working in or around sewer gases. Duties may also involve driving trucks to and from the worksite.
Applicants must possess high school education or equivalent and/or some experience of the operation of hand and power tools used in a utility system and associated safety precautions. Requires the ability to perform basic maintenance tasks, learn more complicated maintenance procedures, and work under safety requirements and to perform hard physical labor under varying weather conditions. This position also requires the ability to work in confined spaces, to work at heights above 50 feet, to enter manholes and access hatches 24 inches in diameter and to work in environmental conditions such as water, wastewater and mud. Possession of a Class B Ohio CDL with tanker and air brake endorsements is required for this position, a period of 90 working days will be given to obtain the CDL, if necessary. Passage of a pre-employment physical and respiratory examination, including drug and alcohol testing, and completion of a confined space demonstration is required prior to appointment.
CREDIT FOR MILITARY SERVICE: Applicants who have been honorably discharged from active duty in the armed forces of the United States are eligible to receive an additional percentage of their cumulative passing score. Proof (i.e., a copy of the Honorable Discharge certificate, or the DD-214 specifying an honorable discharge) must be submitted with the application. NO CREDIT WILL BE GIVEN IF PROOF IS SUBMITTED AFTER THE FILING DEADLINE.