The Engineering Department provides planning services that preserve the health, safety, and welfare of the community through the application of plans, codes, and ordinances for the City’s best uses of resources and development.
- CLA - US 40-16.82, PID 103791 ~ REBID
- 2018 Sidewalk, Curb & Gutter Program
- CLA - Middle Urbana Rehab, PID 94768
- Miscellaneous Sanitary Sewer Lining, Phase 2
- 2017 Miscellaneous Sewer Replacement
- Buck Creek Trail Realignment
- CLA - US40-16.82, PID 103791
- CLA - Trail Maintenance, PID 99562 - REBID
- Buck Creek Interceptor Sewer Inspection - REBID - No Bidders
- 2017 Miscellaneous Sanitary Sewer Lining
- 2017 Miscellaneous Water Replacement
- Buck Creek Interceptor Sewer Inspection - No Bidders
- Miscellaneous Sanitary Sewer Lining, Phase I
- CLA - N. Murray / Mount Vernon, PID 99555
- 2017 PI Paving
- 2017 OPWC Paving
- CLA - East Street Reconstruction, PID 94806
- Ramp Expansion
- CLA - Trail Maintenance, PID99562
- South Limestone Sidewalk, Curb & Gutter- REBID
- CLA - Bechtle Signals, PID 98859 - REBID
- S Limestone Sidewalk, Curb & Gutter Program
- 2017 Sidewalk, Curb & Gutter Program
- CLA - Bechtle Signals, PID 98859
- CLA - Villa Road, PID #89421
- CSO Backwater Valve Project
- Springfield-Beckley Municipal Airport - Final Denial Barriers at the Entry Control Point
- Construct New Hangars and Taxilanes Springfield Beckley Municipal Airport - REBID
- CLA - Lowry Bridge, PID 96375
- 2016 Miscellaneous Water & Sewer Replacement
- 2016 PI Paving
- CLA - Burnett Rd. Reconstruction, PID 94795
- Erie Interceptor Express Sewer
- 2016 Miscellaneous Sanitary Sewer Linings
- Airport New Hangars and Taxilane
- Airport - Crack Repair Taxiway B & Rehab Taxiway F BID TAB
Curb, Gutter & Sidewalk Specifications
Click here to view specifications.
Construction Specifications and Standard Drawings
Click here to download complete book.
Please Note: Public Right of Way Application can be submitted the following ways:
- Download, print and complete the application. Turn in the completed application, with all required documentation , in person, Engineering Department, 2nd Floor, City Hall, 76 E. High Street, Springfield, OH 45502.
- Download, print and complete the application. Return to the Engineering Department by email to email@example.com or by mail to the City of Springfield, Engineering Department, 76 E. High Street, Springfield, OH 45502.
- Download ‘fillable’ PDF form to your desktop and complete. Then, using the ‘Submit’ button, return electronically.
After the application has been received, you will be notified of revisions or amount of payment.
Affirmative Action Program
- MBE/DBE Certification Packet
- MBE/DBE Recertification Packet
- Affirmative Action Program Application
- Affirmative Action Program Renewal Application
- Ohio Department of Transportation
- Ohio Utilities Protection Service
- Public Utilities Commission of Ohio
- WESTCO Port Authority
Projects Under Construction
Erie Interceptor Express Sewer
Work continues on the Erie Express Sewer Project. Work is now focused on the W. First Street / Skinner Lane area. Crews are working on W. First Street placing bores under the roadway. At the new lift station site, crews have begun building the above ground portion of the new pump station facility. Also, restoration work continues throughout the project. No roads are closed at this time. Please be aware of construction traffic entering and exiting different areas along the construction route. This work is being completed by Kokosing Industrial and the anticipated completion date is November 2018.
CLA – Bechtle Signals, PID 98859
The CLA – Bechtle Signals project consists of replacing signal controllers and equipment, adding video cameras and spread spectrum radios and a signal being reconstructed. This project is located on Bechtle Avenue at the intersection of SR41 (Troy Road). This project was awarded to Bansal Construction on June 6, 2017 and the anticipated completion date is April 30, 2018.
Funded by ODOT.
Miscellaneous Sanitary Sewer Lining, Phase I
This project consists of installing various sizes of sanitary sewer lining at the following locations – E. Pleasant Street (between Limestone St. and Vine St.) – includes 8 manhole castings removed and replaced, 13 manholes lined and 31 laterals and Vine Street (439 Vine St. to Monroe St.) – 21 laterals and 12 manholes lined. It will also include meandering through Easements (Gallagher Street, Vine Street, E. Pleasant Street and Linden Avenue) – includes 8 manhole castings removed and replaced, 17 manholes lined and 8 laterals. The project was awarded to Layne Inliner, LLC. Anticipated completion date of June 1, 2018.
2017 Miscellaneous Water Replacement
This project consists of waterline replacement on Lawnview Avenue, Drexel Avenue and Euclid Avenue. Crews are currently working on Lawnview Avenue. Please be aware of construction traffic entering and exiting the project area. Traffic will be maintained to local residents with intermittent delays. The contractor for this project is J & J Schlaegel, Inc. for an awarded contract amount of $674,074.50 and an anticipated completion date of April 27, 2018.
Funded by the City.
2017 Miscellaneous Sanitary Sewer Lining
This project consists of rehabilitation of approximately 400 vertical feet of manhole utilizing spray applied monolithic liner and rehabilitation of approximately 9,000 linear feet of existing sanitary sewer by cured in place plastic pipe (CIPP) process. The contractor for this project is Inland Waters Pollution Control for an awarded contract amount of $476,664.85. Anticipated completion date is July 31, 2018.
Funded by the City.
CLA – Trail Maintenance, PID 99562 – REBID
This project consists of pavement repair and resurfacing various segments of the multi-use trail system maintained by National Trail Parks and Recreation. This project was awarded to J & J Schlaegel, Inc. in the amount of $378,649.11.
Funded by ODOT and the City.
2017 Miscellaneous Sewer Replacement
This project consists of miscellaneous sewer replacement on Mound Street, Jasper Street and Merritt Street. This project was awarded to J & J Schlaegel, Inc. in the amount of $338,866.60.
Funded by City Sewer Division.
Buck Creek Trail Realignment Project
This project consists of realigning a portion of the Buck Creek Trail in the City. Project was awarded to J & J Schlaegel, Inc. in the amount of $274,466.08.
Funded by City, Sewer and Clean Ohio.
Miscellaneous Sanitary Sewer Lining, Phase 2
This project consists of installing various sizes of sanitary sewer lining at the following locations:
- Scott Street (417 to Harrison St.) – 7 manholes lined and 1,107 lineal foot of pipe lined
- Pleasant Street and Scott Street – 8 manholes lined and 1,187 lineal foot of pipe lined
- Scott Street, Ellsworth Street and Homeview Avenue – 11 manholes lined and 2,036 lineal foot of pipe lined
- Harrison Street and York Street – 11 manholes lined and 1,606 lineal foot of pipe lined
- Tibbetts Avenue, Pleasant Street, York Street and Kenton Street – 8 manholes lined and 1,848 lineal foot of pipe lined
- York Street and Summer Street – 11 manholes lined and 1,361 lineal foot of pipe lined
- Pleasant Street and Central Avenue – 7 manholes lined and 1,239 lineal foot of pipe lined
- Kenton Street (Central Ave. to East St.) – 7 manholes lined and 1,244 lineal foot of pipe lined
- 215 Laterals reconnected throughout
Project was awarded to Miller Pipeline, LLC in the amount of $625,565.30.
Funded by OWDA Sewer Loan.
CLA – Middle Urbana Rehab, PID 94768
This project involves the widening, partial full depth reclamation and overlay of Middle Urbana Road from an existing two lane highway with shared two way left turn lane. Work includes pavement widening, minor drainage improvements, sanitary and water upgrades and ditch grading along Middle Urbana Road, between Villa Road and S.R. 334. This project was awarded to J & J Schlaegel, Inc. in the amount of $1,394,613.15
Funded by ODOT, OPWC, City Water & City Sewer.
2018 Sidewalk, Curb & Gutter Program
The contractor for this work is Sterling Quality Concrete, LLC. They will be doing concrete work on sidewalks, curbs and gutter within the city right-of-ways. This work will be performed on street sections, which are the responsibility of the City, and on sections where property owners have received notice to replace concrete work but have failed to do so within the 45-day period of time allotted for the property owner to perform this work. Project award amount was $260,300.00. Streets that are included in Section No. 1 of the program are:
- Jackson Street – State Street to Dibert Avenue
- Farnam Street – Dibert Avenue to Innisfallen Avenue
- Dibert Avenue – Farnam Street to Yellow Springs Street
- Kensington Place – Fountain Avenue to Limestone Street
- Kensington Place – Fountain Avenue to Limestone Street
- Englewood Road – Fountain Avenue to Limestone Street
- Race Street – North Street to end, N of Rubsam Street
- Broadway Street – Bechtle Avenue to Western Avenue
- College Avenue – Limestone Street to Fountain Avenue
- Clairmont Avenue – Sheridan Avenue to Lexington Avenue
CLA – US 40-16.82, PID 103791 – Rebid
This project consists of replacing the spanwire traffic signal supports with mast arms to add 5-section signal heads and add backplates to all traffic signal heads at the intersection of Bird Road and Route 40. Bids were opened on April 20, 2018 and the apparent low bidder was U.S. Utility Contractor with a bid amount of $233,818.34.
UPCOMING CONSTRUCTION PROJECTS
2018 PI Paving – This project will be taking place on N. Kensington Place, S. Kensington Place, Englewood Road, N. Race Street, Broadway Street, E. College Avenue, S. Clairmont Avenue, Dibert Avenue, Farnam Street and Jackson Street. The proposed work consists of the following:
- pavement repair, pulverizing and resurfacing various roadways within the city limits.
- Curb ramp installation
- Storm Sewer installation on Kensington Avenue
Bid opening is scheduled for April 27, 2018.
Part 9 - Streets, Utilities, and Public Services Code
Title One - Streets and Sidewalk Areas
- Chapter 901. Excavations in the Right-of-Way (8-15-17)
- Chapter 902. Right-of-Way Use Management
- Chapter 903. Sidewalks, Curbs and Gutters (12-6-16)
- Chapter 905. Vacation or Narrowing of Streets (4-28-15)
- Chapter 907. Trees
- Chapter 909. Weeds (6-25-13)
- Chapter 910. Building Numbering
Title Three - Municipal Utilities
- Chapter 911. Water Rates and Regulations (12-5-17)
- Chapter 913. Cross Connection Control and Water Quality Protection (9-25-12)
- Chapter 915. Sewer Connections (4-12-16)
- Chapter 916. Use of Public Sewers (03-31-15)
- Chapter 917. Sewerage Charges (12-5-17)
- Chapter 918. Stormwater Utility Charges (12-22-15)
- Chapter 919. Sanitary Services (3-29-16)
- Chapter 921. Private Solid Waste Collectors
- Chapter 922. Residential Solid Waste Collectors
- Chapter 923. Demolition Dumps
- Chapter 925. Collection and Disposal of Storm Waters
- Chapter 927. Utilities Serving New Condominium Developments
- Chapter 929. Wellhead and Well Field Protection Regulations (9-13-16)
Title Four - Engineering Regulations
Title Five - Other Public Services
- Chapter 955. Fire Protection Outside City Limits
- Chapter 959. Springfield-Beckley Municipal Airport (2-13-18)
Title Six - Stormwater Regulations