Contractor License Info
Current copies of the following items must be turned in to the City of Springfield’s Department of Community Development, Division of Building Regulations office prior to the issuance of a contractor registration certificate:
- Completed Application
- Income Tax Business Questionnaire Form
- Ohio Worker’s Compensation Certificate
- required regardless of number of employees
- May submit proof of private compensation coverage
- Liability Insurance Coverage
- Comprehensive general liability insurance, including completed operations with a minimum limit of liability of $300,000 each occurrence combined single limit for bodily injury and property damage liability. Contractors performing demolition work must provide collapse hazard coverage (“c” exclusion deleted) and must also provide explosion hazard coverage (“x” exclusion deleted) if explosive materials are to be used. Contractors performing excavation work must provide both collapse and underground hazard coverage (“c” and “u” exclusions deleted).
- $10,000.00 License and Permit Bond
- Bond is to be made payable to the City of Springfield, Ohio. Bond is to be on forms provided by the insurance/bonding company and state the name, bond number and time period of coverage. Please – no continuous bond forms.
- Current Photo of Applicant
- A copy of the applicant’s driver’s license is acceptable.
- Federal Identification
- Social Security Number (for individuals)
- Federal ID Number (for corporations)
- Police Record Release
- Current State Contractor Qualification Certificate/License
- (Electrical, HVAC, Fire Detection/Suppression, and/or Gas Piping Installation).
- Fire Detection/Suppression
- Gas Piping Installation
Note: No Electrical, HVAC or Fire Detection/Suppression contractor license registration shall be issued to any applicant until the applicant submits proof of a license/certificate issued by the Ohio Construction Industry Examining Board (OCIEB) or a current State certificate. (Call (614) 644-3493 for information on state examinations.)
**Contractor License Renewals: Every contractor license issued or renewed expires on December 31 of the year issued or last renewed. Contractors may apply to renew their license for the next year, between November 15 – December 31 for a $200.00 renewal fee. After this time period, a fee of $300.00 is required to renew a contractor license.
Current copies of Insurance, Bond, and Worker’s Compensation must be on file at the Division of Building Regulations Office. Copies of the certificates may be faxed to our office at (937) 328-3558.
- $300.00 per category for initial registration
- $300.00 per category for reinstatement of an expired registration
- $200.00 per category for renewal of a current registration
All registrations expire on December 31 of the year for which it was issued.
Tree Worker License
Anyone doing tree work within the City limits must be licensed or employed by a licensed tree company. Anyone applying for a license must first pass a written test, show proof of insurance and bond and pay a $50.00 license fee which is good for 2 years from the date of issue. Applications, testing and a list of licensed tree workers may be obtained at the Administrative Offices at 2100 Lagonda Avenue, Springfield, OH and questions may be directed to the office at (937) 525-5800 or (937) 324-7740.